The light pacifics were designed by O.V.S. Bulleid to work over
the restricted secondary routes of the Southern Railway. Two naming themes were used; ‘West Country’ and the ‘Battle of Britain’.
The ‘Battle of Britain’ locomotives were named in tribute to
the personalities, aircraft, RAF stations and squadrons involved
in the 1940 air battle.
Scale of Locomotive & Aircraft: 5 mm/ft
Paper Size: 404 mm x 303 mm (16 in x 12 in)
Fits a readily available 16in x 12in frame
Unsigned Print: £15.00
Signed Print: £18.50
No. 34081 was built with a 9 foot wide cab and tender and ran unnamed until its first light intermediate overhaul in April 1950 at Brighton Works when it was repainted in BR green livery with lion over wheel symbol and named 92 Squadron. The squadron was converted to Supermarine Spitfire Mk1s in March 1940 and during the latter stages of the Battle of Britain was based at Biggin Hill.
On withdrawal No. 34081 was sold to Dai Woodhams scrap yard in South Wales and purchased from there by the Battle of Britain Locomotive Preservation Society* in autumn 1973.
It is shown in preserved condition in Southern malachite green livery and is attached to a 5,500 gallon high-sided tender with British Rail in sunshine lettering.
Built: (Brighton) September 1948. Withdrawn: August 1964.
The Hawker Hurricane was the first monoplane fighter to serve with RAF and was designed under Sydney Camm’s direction as a logical progression from the Fury biplane. The first flight of a production Hurricane took place on On 6 November 1935 at Brooklands. It was powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine and was armed with eight .303 inch Browning machine guns. The first aircraft entering RAF service in late 1937.
The illustration portrays the plane flown by Flight Lieutenant James Brindley Nicolson of 249 Squadron on 16th August 1940 when, although his plane was in flames, he brought down a Messerschmitt 110. For his action he was awarded the Victoria Cross, which was the only time a pilot of RAF Fighter Command received this decoration during the Second World War.
The Spitfire was designed by Reginald J Mitchell of Supermarine Ltd., in response to a 1934 Air Ministry specification calling for a high-performance fighter with an armament of eight wing-mounted 0.303 inch Browning machine guns. Like the Hawker Hurricane it was powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. The first production Spitfire flew on 15th May 1938 with deliveries to operational RAF squadrons commencing in the summer of 1938.
With the untimely death of the original designer, Reginald Mitchell, in June 1937, development was directed by his replacement, Joseph Smith.
The illustration shows the aircraft flown by Flying Officer Geoffrey Wellum, author of ‘First Light’, of 92 Squadron when he downed his first enemy aircraft on 11th September 1940.
* As the Society was then called.
The above information is supplied with the print.