The Castle Class were an enlargement of G. J. Churchward’s Star Class and were designed by C. B. Collett, with the first appearing in 1923. The class was added to over the next 27 years, eventually totalling 171 (including the rebuilds), with many changes being made along the way.
Three of the class were named to honour Great Western engineers.
Scale: 5 mm/ft
Paper Size: A3 420 mm x 297 mm (16.5 in x 11.75 in)
Unsigned Print: £18.50
Signed Print: £22.50
ONLY AVAILABLE TO A UK ADDRESS
Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806 – 1859) was the Chief Engineer of the Great Western Railway from 1833 to 1859.
When it first appeared it had a rather ugly nameplate with a much flatter curve but this was quickly changed to the one shown.
No. 5069 was fitted with the, now standard, three inch shorter chimney, also the top lamp bracket has been moved to the smokebox door. From No. 5023 the ATC pick-up was moved from below the cab to the bogie frame. The cab side sheets were strengthened by the addition of a plate riveted inside, which resulted in two lines of rivets being visible below the cab window, this modification had taken place from No. 5043 onwards, along with the rear sandbox being moved down to make it more accessible. It is also fitted with a speedometer.
It is in GWR Green and is attached to a Collett 4,000 gallon tender with GWR monogram.
Built: (Swindon) June 1938. Withdrawn: February 1962.
Sir Daniel Gooch (1816 – 1889) was the Great Western’s first Locomotive Superintendent from 1837 to 1864 and its chairman from 1865 to 1889.No. 5070 had the same modifications as No. 5069 and is shown here in the post-war GWR livery. It has a 4,000 gallon Collett tender with G W initials and twin shields.
Built: (Swindon) June 1938. Withdrawn: March 1964.
George Jackson Churchward (1857 – 1933) was the Great Western’s Chief Mechanical Engineer from 1902 to 1921 (known as Locomotive Superintendent until 1915). It was named at Paddington on 29th October 1948 by Major E. William Gregson RNR, President of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
It was one of the modified ‘5098’ class built under F. W. Hawksworth, who became Chief Mechanical Engineer in 1941. Changes included the introduction of a three-row superheater and, from No. 7000, a mechanical lubricator in place of the sight-feed system. Because of the larger size of the superheater header the chimney was moved forward 2 inches. The inside cylinder cover had a checker tread plate welded on the front edge making it ‘square’ for safety. The handrail below the cab window was also extended forwards and upwards.
It is in BR Green and has a 4,000 gallon Hawksworth tender with early BR crest.
Built: (Swindon) August 1948. Withdrawn: February 1963.
The above information is supplied with the print.