The A4s were designed by H. N. Gresley to haul the LNER’s new streamlined service between London and Newcastle which was introduced in autumn 1935 and named ‘Silver Jubilee’ to mark the 25 years of King George V’s reign, with the first four appearing in silver livery to match the train. Further batches were built to work the LNER’s other high-speed train services.
Scale: 5 mm/ft
Paper Size: A3 420 mm x 297 mm (16.5 in x 11.75 in)
Unsigned Print: £18.50
Signed Print: £22.50
ONLY AVAILABLE TO A UK ADDRESS
No. 4903 Peregrine was the last A4 to be built and had a double chimney and Kylchap blastpipe from new. It appeared in LNER garter blue, attached to a non-corridor streamlined tender.
In September 1942 it was painted plain black and had the skirting plates, which covered the wheels, removed – allowing easier maintenance. This is the condition shown.
In March 1948 it was renamed Lord Faringdon after Alexander Henderson, 1st Baron Faringdon, who was chairman of the Great Central Railway and then deputy chairman of its successor, the London and North Eastern Railway until his death in 1934.
Built: (Doncaster) July 1938. Withdrawn: August 1966.
No. 4496 was originally named Golden Shuttle and was attached to a new 1937 streamlined corridor tender, the top fairing of which was cut-back in December 1937. In January 1942 the skirting plates were removed.
On 27th September 1946 No. 4496 was renamed Dwight D. Eisenhower at Marylebone station, after the American General who had been the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during World War Two. It then ran with the nameplates covered until February 1946. At the same time it became the first A4 to be returned to pre-war LNER garter blue and was also fitted with stainless steel numbers and letters.
In 1946 the LNER decide to systematicly renumber it’s locomotive stock, with Dwight D. Eisenhower becoming No. 8 in November, which is the condition shown.
Built: (Doncaster) September 1937. Withdrawn: July 1963. It has been preserved in the USA.
No. 4483 Kingfisher was one of the second batch of A4s built and was attached to a 1928 streamlined corridor tender, which had previusly run with A3s No. 2744 Grand Parade and No. 2750 Papyrus at various times. The tender had it’s top fairing cut-back in January 1938. In November 1941 the skirting plates were removed.
It was renumbered No. 24 in May 1946, after briefly being No. 585, and was returned to LNER garter blue in August 1946.
After nationalisation 60,000 was added to the number and No. 60024 was one of the locomotives chosen to carry the experimental dark blue livery with LNWR style lining of light grey, cream and red, with British Railways spelled out on the tender. It is portrayed in this condition.
Built: (Doncaster) December 1936. Withdrawn: September 1966.
The above information is supplied with the print.