The light pacifics were designed by O.V.S. Bulleid to work over the restricted secondary routes of the Southern Railway. Two naming themes were used; ‘West Country’ and the ‘Battle of Britain'.
The ‘West Country’ locomotives were named after cities, towns or geographical features in the western section of the Southern Railway.
Scale: 5 mm/ft
Paper Size: A3 420 mm x 297 mm (16.5 in x 11.75 in)
Signed Print: £22.50
Postal Order Form
Sidmouth was named after the seaside resort on the south coast of Devon. It is shown after naming at Sidmouth Station by Mr A Lancaster-Smith, Chairman of Sidmouth Council’s Publicity Department on 27th June 1946. The shield shows the county arms of Devon.
No. 21C110 is in Southern malachite green livery and is attached to a 4,500 gallon high-sided tender. It has the early style flat fronted cab and short smoke deflectors. The bogie wheels have hollow axles to save weight, this was discontinued after the first thirty.
Built: (Brighton) September 1945. Rebuilt: (Eastleigh) January 1959.
Withdrawn: September 1965. It has been preserved.
Bideford was named after the market town in North Devon and carries the town shield. It is shown in 1956 condition in BR green with lion over wheel symbol and attached to 4,500 gallon high-sided tender. By this time the original flat fronted cab had been modified to the wedge design to improve visibility and the smoke deflectors lengthened to what had become the standard size.
The sanding to the front driving wheels has been removed and the hinged roof access panels changed to sliding ones. The slidebar bracket has been re-designed to improve its strength and is now cast rather than fabricated, plus the fairings have been removed from in front of the cylinders. The bogie has the Merchant Navy style adjuster, originally fitted to No. 21C116 – 21C144, and it still has hollow axle bogie wheels. After problems with water surging forward in the boiler under braking the safety valves of the class were moved to behind the dome and reduced from three to two.
Built: (Brighton) December 1945. Withdrawn: March 1967.
Wadebridge was named after the town in north Cornwall which sits either side of the River Camel. It is in BR green with totem and is attached to a 4,500 gallon cut-down tender fitted with the BR briquette water treatment system. The shield shows the county arms of Cornwall.
Extra washout plugs have been added to the top-front of the boiler, accessed by sliding covers. It is fitted with a two piece piston rod and crosshead and has BR four nut crank pin fastenings. AWS has been fitted along with a speedometer. The batons are still in place along the top of the smoke deflectors, which were used to attach the ‘Devon Belle’ wingplates.
Built: (Brighton) September 1945. Withdrawn: October 1965. It has been preserved.
The above information is supplied with the print.