The light pacifics were designed by O.V.S. Bulleid to work over the restricted secondary routes of the Southern Railway. Two naming themes were used; ‘West Country’ and the ‘Battle of Britain’. The ‘West Country’ locomotives were named after cities, towns or geographical features in the western section of the Southern Railway.
Originally built with airsmooth casing and chain driven valve gear enclosed in an oil bath many of the class were rebuilt by British Railways to a more traditional form with standard Walschaerts valve gear, with the design work being overseen by R. G. Jarvis. The narrow cabs of the early class members were widened to 9 foot when rebuilt, although keeping their original windows.
Scale: 5 mm/ft
Paper Size: A3 420 mm x 297 mm (16.5 in x 11.75 in)
Signed Print: £22.50
Postal Order Form
Boscastle was named after the village and fishing port on the north coast of Cornwall.
The nameplate and class plate have black backgrounds, which was the official colour at this time. The front buffers are the parallel (LMS) type.
No. 34039’s tender was rebodied with a new 5,250 gallon tank, fitted with the BR briquette water treatment system.
Built: (Brighton) September 1946. Rebuilt: (Eastleigh) January 1959.
Withdrawn: May 1965. It has been preserved.
Lyme Regis was named after the coastal town in West Dorset and carries the town shield.
The front step has been raised and pockets have been added to the platform front plate to accommodate the longer piston valve spindles resulting from the fitting of U.K. packing glands. AWS has been fitted along with a speedometer. The nameplate and class plate now have red backgrounds, which was reintroduced in 1962.
No. 34009 is attached to a 4,500 gallon cut-down tender fitted with the BR briquette water treatment system. The symbol on the cab side, indicating that the locomotive is fitted with a water treatment system, is now a yellow triangle. This was due to the class now working over ex-GWR routes to avoid confusion with the GWR coloured weight discs.
Built: (Brighton) September 1945. Rebuilt: (Eastleigh) January 1961.
Withdrawn: October 1966.
Exeter was named after the county town of Devon and carries the town shield.
AWS has been fitted along with a speedometer. Electrification warning signs have been added to warn crews about overhead electrified wiring.
No. 34001 has a 5,500 gallon cut-down tender with BR briquette water treatment system.
Built: (Brighton) June 1945. Rebuilt: (Eastleigh) November 1957.
Withdrawn: July 1967.
The above information is supplied with the print.