The Princess Coronation class were designed to haul the new LMS high-speed Anglo-Scottish service which was introduced in Coronation year, 1937, and called the 'Coronation Scot'.
They were designed to William A. Stanier’s brief while he was away in India with the Wedgwood Committee looking into the state of that countries railways. The design work was undertaken by Thomas F. Coleman, Chief Draughtsman and Stanier’s Principle Assistant, Robert A. Riddles.
The first ones appeared as streamliners but in 1938 five were built in normal form; the last nine were also non-streamliners. From 1946 the streamlined locomotives had their casings removed.
Scale: 5 mm/ft
Paper Size: A3 420 mm x 297 mm (16.5 in x 11.75 in)
Signed Print: £22.50
Postal Order Form
After a break of three years four further streamliners were built, included No. 6247. It incorporated many modifications, including a large panel in the smokebox area to give access to the steam pipe glands. The bracket and crank for the BTH speed indicator were fitted but lacked the generator and wiring, due to wartime shortages.
It was painted plain black with standard LMS yellow lettering and vermilion backed plates.
The tender is a welded streamlined Mk IV, but without the cowl.
Built: (Crewe) September 1943. Withdrawn: May 1963.
No. 6233 was built in standard non-streamlined form in 1938. It was fitted with a double chimney in March 1941 and smoke deflectors (without footholds) were added in August 1946. During it’s overhaul in October 1947 the boiler fitted had extra washout plugs at the front.
No. 6233 Duchess of Sutherland managed to keep its special red LMS livery right through the war. It was eventually painted in 1946 LMS lined black in October 1947, which is the condition shown.
The tender is a welded Mk V, with deep profile cut-outs at the front.
Built: (Crewe) July 1938. Withdrawn: February 1964. It has been preserved.
No. 6241 was built as a streamliner in 1940 with a double chimney. The streamlining was removed in February 1947 and smoke deflectors (with footholds) added. The de-streamlined locomotives had open platforms at the front making the removal of the valve spindles easier. The de-streamlined locomotives kept their sloping top smokeboxes until they needed replacing.
After nationalisation 40,000 was added to the number and No. 46241 was one of the locomotives chosen to carry the experimental dark blue livery with LNWR style lining of light grey, cream and red, with British Railways spelled out on the tender. It is portrayed in this condition.
The tender is a de-streamlined welded Mk IV.
Built: (Crewe) April 1940. Withdrawn: September 1964.
The above information is supplied with the print.